MONDAY MORNING RUNDOWN
Hey Folks, Happy Monday!
Don't forget, with the Olympics coming to a close, Here & Now returns to it's regular time slot on Monday of 5:30-7:00 NT. Another messy mix of Snow, Freezing Rain & Rain will work across Metro & the Avalon. Snow begins this morning across the Burin & Avalon before spreading North into Clarenville & Bonavista late morning and then up the Northeast Coast and into Central during the afternoon. Winds shift to Southwest and temps will rise in behind the front and we'll see Snow changing to Rain & Drizzle (with some freezing rain in between) along the Southern Avalon early this afternoon and a transition for the Southern Burin, Metro & Northern Avalon late this afternoon, during drive home time.
HOW MUCH SNOW?
This remains a tricky forecast as the Low will actually be developing through the day on Monday as it approaches. Forecast models have really been shuffling over the past few days. With that said, it appears Metro, the Avalon will pickup anywhere from 3-8 cm, before that transition to Rain on Monday afternoon. Along & just West of the track, much of the Burin Peninsula, Conniagre, Clarenville, Bonavista & Terra Nova could pick up 10-15+ cm of Snow through Monday night. Central sections 5-10 cm and Western Newfoundland 3-8 cm. Winds won't be a big factor with this system today, Southeast winds 30-50 over the Avalon will shift to South this evening and then Southwest 40-60 km/h overnight.
This system is the kick off to what will be an active week across NL.
-Tuesday remains breezy across the Island with onshore flurries in the mix, especially in the West.
-Wednesday will be our brightest and coolest day of the week.
-Our next system rolls into East/Central Newfoundland on Wednesday night into Thursday. That system appears, could have a similar track todays weather maker, but could pack a little more punch, with more rain in the mix as well.
-We could also see another system for Sunday across the Island, although not all forecast models are on board with this just yet.
-As always stay tuned. Your complete 7 day forecast details tonight on Here & Now.
Top News Headlines
- Malaysia Airlines mystery giving rise to hacker attacks
- The story of the missing Malaysian Airlines plane has preoccupied people around the world for more than a month. It also looks to have inspired online scammers who exploit people's interest in trending news topics to install malware on their computers, internet security experts say. more »
- Calgary stabbings timeline: What we know happened
- Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happened. more »
- McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery'
- Foreign workers recruited from Belize are accusing McDonald’s Canada of treating them like ‘slaves,' by effectively forcing them to share an expensive apartment – then deducting almost half their take-home pay as rent. more »
- Ukraine crisis moving from bluster to diplomacy
- Ukraine's attempt at a military solution to its problems with pro-Russia separatists look to be in disarray. But that may all be to the good, Nahlah Ayed writes, as foreign ministers gather in Geneva today to try to end the standoff. more »
- 9 things to know about voting under the new elections act
- The government's proposed fair elections act will make it harder for some to vote, by eliminating vouching and the use of voter information cards as ID. But suggested amendments may make a part of the voting process easier for others. more »