MONDAY MORNING RUNDOWN
Hey Folks, Happy Monday!
Don't forget, with the Olympics coming to a close, Here & Now returns to it's regular time slot on Monday of 5:30-7:00 NT. Another messy mix of Snow, Freezing Rain & Rain will work across Metro & the Avalon. Snow begins this morning across the Burin & Avalon before spreading North into Clarenville & Bonavista late morning and then up the Northeast Coast and into Central during the afternoon. Winds shift to Southwest and temps will rise in behind the front and we'll see Snow changing to Rain & Drizzle (with some freezing rain in between) along the Southern Avalon early this afternoon and a transition for the Southern Burin, Metro & Northern Avalon late this afternoon, during drive home time.
HOW MUCH SNOW?
This remains a tricky forecast as the Low will actually be developing through the day on Monday as it approaches. Forecast models have really been shuffling over the past few days. With that said, it appears Metro, the Avalon will pickup anywhere from 3-8 cm, before that transition to Rain on Monday afternoon. Along & just West of the track, much of the Burin Peninsula, Conniagre, Clarenville, Bonavista & Terra Nova could pick up 10-15+ cm of Snow through Monday night. Central sections 5-10 cm and Western Newfoundland 3-8 cm. Winds won't be a big factor with this system today, Southeast winds 30-50 over the Avalon will shift to South this evening and then Southwest 40-60 km/h overnight.
This system is the kick off to what will be an active week across NL.
-Tuesday remains breezy across the Island with onshore flurries in the mix, especially in the West.
-Wednesday will be our brightest and coolest day of the week.
-Our next system rolls into East/Central Newfoundland on Wednesday night into Thursday. That system appears, could have a similar track todays weather maker, but could pack a little more punch, with more rain in the mix as well.
-We could also see another system for Sunday across the Island, although not all forecast models are on board with this just yet.
-As always stay tuned. Your complete 7 day forecast details tonight on Here & Now.
Top News Headlines
- Malaysia Airlines stolen passport user was asylum seeker from Iran
- One of the two men travelling on a missing Malaysian Airlines jetliner was a 19-year-old Iranian believed to seeking asylum in Germany, officials say, as baffled authorities expanded their search on the opposite side of the country from where it disappeared nearly four days ago. more »
- Canada-South Korea trade deal to phase out import tariffs on cars
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced on Tuesday that Canada has concluded negotiations with South Korea on a free trade agreement that would phase out Canadian tariffs on imports of South Korean cars over three years. more »
- Average student debt difficult to pay off, delays life milestones
- Canada's average student debt for graduates hovers around $25,000. Meet one 2008 graduate who, like many in repayment assistance or default, is struggling to pay back her loans many years after graduation. more »
- For the PQ, the two-edged sword that is Pierre Karl Péladeau
- In a remarkable and turbulent business career, Pierre Karl Peladeau has always defied convention. The PQ are clearly hoping that their new star candidate will play by their rules this time. more »
- 10 myths about taxes that mislead Canadians
- There is no shortage of confusion and misinformation out there when it comes to filing your taxes — from skewed perceptions of tax refunds to simple misunderstandings about revenue agency rules. We bust 10 of the most common myths. more »