WEDNESDAY AVALON SNOW UPDATE
What a dance the forecast models have been doing with our Wednesday snow maker for St. John's & the Avalon. The cha-cha-cha continued this afternoon & this evening, as forecast models shifted back and fourth with the track of tomorrow's system. As of this evening, the GFS is still dropping ~5-7 cm over Metro, while the R-GEM & Euro models are in the 10, to as much as 15 cm range. When you see the forecast models shifting this much from run to run, it's a very good indication that they don't have a good handle on the system and things could change again.
As a result of the latest R-GEM & Euro runs I've adjusted the Snowfall map slightly, with the 10 cm line now right through the Metro area. Again, not far from those last few Euro model runs, which have been the most consistent. Once again, a slight shift Northward and Metro could indeed be into the 15 cm range, so this Snowfall map is posted with an asterisk to stay tuned. I'll have the latest tomorrow morning here on the Live Blog. The time-line remains the same, Snow begins early in the morning along the South Coast and spreads into Metro mid-morning. Even with 10 cm on the menu, the drive home will be messy for Metro. Snow eases tomorrow evening, and wraps up near Midnight.
Top News Headlines
- Ukraine sees largest anti-government protest since 2004
- Angry anti-government protesters in Ukraine toppled a statue of former Soviet leader Vladimir Lenin in the centre of Kyiv on Sunday and blockaded key government buildings amid huge street protests, raising the stakes in an escalating standoff with President Viktor Yanukovych. more »
- Nelson Mandela overshadows other icons of change: Michael Enright
- There have been few people in recent decades who have truly changed a bit of their world through personal courage. Mandela overshadows them, in that he transformed an entire political system and country, Michael Enright writes. more »
- Prairie deep freeze means more wind chill warnings
- Most of the Prairies continues to be locked in a deep freeze, with a number of communities under wind chill warnings, including Regina and Winnipeg more »
- German President Joachim Gauck boycotting Sochi Olympics
- German President Joachim Gauck is boycotting the Winter Olympics and will not travel to Sochi, Russia next year, reportedly over human rights violations and the harassment of Russian opposition political figures. more »
- Rob Ford upstages Santa Claus at Etobicoke parade
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford draws mixed reactions as he strolls down Lakeshore Boulevard for Etobicoke’s annual parade. more »